POSITION: TEMPORARY AFTER-CARE TEACHER
Long term substitute Early Childhood Aftercare Assistant: The primary responsibility of the Aftercare Assistant is to make sure that the experience is positive for the children who attend and the activities follow the pedagogy of the school, ensuring the supervision and safety of all the children ages 3 to 6 yrs-old. The substitution hours are for November 2013 through January 2014 with the possibility of becoming permanent.
Responsible To: Lead Teacher / Program Director
Schedule: 12:30-5:30pm M-F, 25 hours per week.
Benefits: This position is not eligible for health insurance.
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities
- Supervise the children enrolled in the afternoon care program
- Punctual attendance, ready to receive children from naps & transition into afternoon play
- Ensure each child has a healthy afternoon snack (from home or food the school provides)
- Maintain attendance records of children through the Parent Sign In and Out forms
- Carry cordless phone at all times to make and receive calls for assistance or emergencies
- Fill out incident reports and follows up with parents on any injuries or behavior problems
- Check in daily with Lead Teachers to report any concerns, accidents, or other critical information to ensure good communication and oversight of the program
- Ensure that the areas used (room and play yard) are clean and returned to original condition
- Dress modestly, avoiding clothing with printed words, ready for all weather conditions experienced during daily outdoor play (usually a minimum of an hour)
Other Tasks & Responsibilities
- Relates to all children and youth in positive ways
- Responds appropriately to individual needs of children and youth
- Encourages children and youth to make choices and to become more responsible
- Uses positive techniques to guide the behavior of children and youth
- Ensures children generally interact with one another in positive ways
- Ensures that the program’s indoor and outdoor spaces meet the needs of children
- Reports any site or facility problems to Lead Teachers
- Closes and locks all doors and windows, turns off all inside building lights at the
end of shift
Employee must maintain the highest level of confidentiality and professionalism commensurate with working in an educational setting.
“Lead Teacher” certification, as required by the KS Department of Health & Environment, per our childcare license.
You must also have one of the following requirements met to be considered for this position:
Option 1: (A) Five sessions of observation for not less than 2 1/2 consecutive hours per observation in licensed preschools or child care centers. Child care center staff shall plan their observations so that daily activities during morning, lunch, nap time and late afternoon can be observed; and (B) one year of teaching experience in licensed centers or preschools, or one year of supervised practicum in licensed centers or preschools (this can be from a practicum/internship experience)
Option 2: (A) Seven to nine semester hours of academic credit or equivalent training in child development or early childhood education; and (B) three months’ teaching experience in licensed centers or preschools, or one year of supervised practicum in licensed centers or preschools (this can be from a practicum/internship experience)
Option 3: A child development associate credential.
Additional Kansas State requirements:
-health assessment form current and certified by a licensed physician
-current CPR (infant & child) / First Aid training
-KBI background check
Please send cover letter, resume, PMWS application (available at http://prairiemoon.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Application-for-Employment.pdf), and three references to:
Prairie Moon Waldorf School
Attn: Early Childhood Search Committee Chair
1853 E 1600 Rd
Lawrence, KS 66044
Applications are welcome until October 18, 2013, or until the position is filled.
POSITION: SUBSTITUTE TEACHER, for both early childhood and grades.
We are always interested in receiving applications for substitute teachers, for both early childhood and grades teachers. Please download and complete the Application for Employment.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, application of employment, and resume to:
Prairie Moon Waldorf School
Attn: Search Committee Chair
1853 E 1600 Rd
Lawrence, KS 66044
Prairie Moon Waldorf School is a developing member of the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America. It offers two Early Childhood Programs, First/Second combination Grade, Third/Fourth combination Grade and the eldest Fifth/Sixth combination grade class. In addition to main lesson, students are currently offered movement, Mandarin language, handwork, gardening, extra lesson, music, and strings classes. Prairie Moon occupies a former public school building with classrooms, gymnasium, stage, offices and kitchen on a seven-acre rural property that features playgrounds and a large organic garden (on rich Kaw River Valley soil.) The school is a short drive from downtown Lawrence.
Discover Lawrence, Kansas, a cultural oasis in the Midwest. Lawrence is a progressive community of just under 100,000 people that is home to the University of Kansas, Haskell Indian Nations University, and Kansas’ only Waldorf school. It features a nationally prominent visual and performing arts scene, a significant natural and Native American history and an American political history rooted in the pre-Civil War Era. The city offers top museums and historical sites, state-of-the-art health, fitness and sports facilities, a community owned and operated hospital, a lively farmer’s market that features local organic produce from dozens of area farmers and one of the Midwest’s oldest and best cooperative health food grocery stores. Lawrence is an open-minded place with a can-do attitude. Only thirty-five miles to the east is metropolitan Kansas City with its many amenities and attractions that include a world-class art museum, the national World-War-One Museum, professional sports teams and major new performing arts venues among many others.